Replacing a Mattress
Do you Need a New Mattress?
With most products, it’s fairly obvious when a replacement is needed. If it no longer works or has signs of wear and tear that impair its functionality, you know it’s time for a new one. However, realizing that it is time for mattress replacement and new foundation isn’t always so obvious. Similar to your favorite old chair or worn pair of shoes, your mattress can still feel somewhat comfortable long after it has lost its ability to provide your body with the proper support and comfort it needs. Because sleep is so critical to our ability to function and feel our best, it is important to evaluate your sleep set on a regular basis to know when your sleep is compromised and to replace mattress accessories as well.
Signs that You May Need a New Mattress & Foundation (boxspring):
- You wake up with stiffness, numbness, aches and pains
- You had a better night’s sleep somewhere other than your own bed (such as a hotel)
- Your mattress shows visible signs of overuse (it sags, has visible tearing, ripping, holes, staining, or damage)
- You are tired after a full night's sleep
- Your mattress is seven years old or older*
*How long a mattress will last depends on several factors, such as amount of use and the original quality, but in general, a mattress set that has been in use for seven years is no longer providing you with the best comfort and support and should be replaced. Keep in mind that everyone’s body changes over time, and the need for comfort and support only increases with age. That’s why it’s a good idea to compare the mattress and foundation you are sleeping on now to newer models every few years.